I can admit that sometimes I can be an impulsive shopper. Usually when I’m strolling down the aisles of the groceries stores (usually the snack aisles) and I see something new that peaks my interest I grab it. Then most of the time I eat it once and think “ehh…” and then it sits in my pantry until I forget about it. But knowing this ridiculously pattern I got extremely excited when I saw these Peppermint Marshmallows on a recent trip to Wal-Mart. I think I actually went “ooh” very loudly and yes I got some strange looks but hey wouldn’t be the first time.
The first thing I thought about was a giant cup of hot cocoa loaded with peppermint marshmallows and how perfect that sounded especially with the colder weather moving in. The next thought was just stuffing them in my mouth and then I kinda ran outta options.
And then I remembered a box of rice crispies sitting in my pantry thought “ these would make some awesome rice crispy treats….and I can drizzle them in dark and white chocolate and sprinkle them with crushed peppermint….ooh peppermint bark rice crispies” yep….i just took you through my entire thought process. I know, deep right!?
These were so good and so easy and so perfect for the holidays! I know most of you are already at the finishing line of the holiday baking marathon and I’m way in the back shouting “Hey guys, wait up” but I still wanted to share this with you guys. My super crazy insane work schedule has kept me out of the marathon but I’m determined to get in there anyway.
So as this post goes up very close to Christmas, I just want to wish everyone a Happy Holidays from Mocha Baker Girl!( Just pretend like I rang your doorbell and handed you a pretty holiday tin filled with these and gave you a big hug!)
Peppermint Bark Rice Crispys
¼ cup margarine
4 cups Jet-Puffed miniature peppermint marshmallows
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups Cripsy Rice Cereal
4 oz dark chocolate, chopped
4oz white chocolate, chopped
½ cup crushed peppermint candies
- Generously spray or butter a 13 by 9 inch baking pan. set aside.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat place the margarine. When margarine is completely melted add the marshmallows and stir constantly until melted. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the peppermint extract, vanilla and the cereal working quickly.
- Stir until all the cereal is coated evenly and press into a baking pan. ( I like to use my hands, just make sure your hands are sprayed or buttered really well)
- Allow rice crispys to cool .* In a small bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water place the dark chocolate and stir until melted. Using a spoon drizzle the melted chocolate over the rice crispy. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes. In another small bowl over the saucepan of simmering water place the white chocolate and stir until melted. Using a spoon drizzle the white chocolate over the rice crispy and then sprinkle with the crushed peppermint.
- Place in the refrigerator and cool until chocolate is set. Once cool cut into squares or other desired shape.
*if you prefer you can melt the chocolate in the microwave in a microwavable bowl at 10 second intervals, stirring after each 10 seconds. You can also use the melting chocolate (chocolate bark).