Chocolate Cherry Bread
(recipe adapted from andreasrecipes.com)
This officially my 6th blog post!! I’m getting a lot of support and love from my friends and family and it really makes me feel good. I have wanted to do this for so long and it just feels good to finally be doing it. I’m excited to grow and learn and to have you all along for the ride.
And now to the sweets…….
I’m just gonna be honest. This bread was basically another excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast ( I have a small obsession with Kellogs Krave cereal). I’m a total chocoholic. Just about all my favorite flavor combos include chocolate, Chocolate and mint, chocolate and peanut butter, chocolate and strawberry and of course chocolate and cherries. I can devour a box of cherry cordials in an embarrassingly short amount of time.
I have wanted to do something with the chocolate cherry combo for a long time and this bread is basically a cherry cordial in breakfast bread form. Its soo good! I have to admit I was kind of nervous about how this was gonna come out but I couldn’t be happier. It is chocolaty cherry moist goodness (Yeah I know but I just had to say it).
So slather it butter, cream cheese or whatever you like and let’s have chocolate for breakfast!
Chocolate Cherry Bread
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour plus ¼ cup set aside
½ cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup oil
¼ cup maraschino cherry liquid
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 16-oz jar maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside. In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together eggs, buttermilk, oil, cherry liquid and vanilla. In another small bowl toss the chopped cherries in the remaining ¼ cup flour and set aside.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold until no visible clumps of the flour mixture are left. Gently fold in flour coated cherries and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow bread to cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes and then gently turn it out onto a wire rack and let cool completely.